Frost Bitten Thumbs – 5K


I made a promise to myself to run a couple of 5Ks and 10Ks to get to my old running speed. Today I ran my first 5K in my new age group, 45-49 😜

Blue Devils 5K

Blue Devils 5K

I really did not want to get out of my nice warm bed for a 33 degree 5K which had the nerve to start at 8AM. Lucky enough it was 5 minutes from my house so I talked myself into going.

The biggest pain to running in the cold is the bundling up. I haven’t run in the cold in about 2 years so I was unsure how much clothes to put on. I started with a base layer top and my Nike thermal leggings. I then added a zip up light Nike all-weather top. I grabbed a pair of gloves and a moister wicken hat that had flaps to cover your ears. My colors were purple, white and black. Just because it’s cold doesn’t mean I can’t be cutely coordinated 😉

I grabbed my cell phone which was only 35% charged, my car keys and ran out the door  I had no time to look for my phone carrying case because it was already 7:40 already and I still had to get my number.

The drive took 10 minutes with ample parking around the school.  I ran to the packet pickup which was only about a quarter of a mile away from where I parked.  No one was in line so I quickly picked up my number and a bag with my small cotton tee shirt.  I did not feel cold when I ran in so opted to leave my gloves in my bag and staff them in the high school gym where the packet pick up was being held.

It was now 7:55 and the race was about to start so we all gathered outside.  My hands still felt fine so did not go back for my gloves.  It’s 8:03 and we start.  I get half a mile in and my phone dies.  I’m wondering how 33% went so quickly but could not get it started again.  I was really bummed because I was using my phone for music and my run keeper app.  Now I am just am carrying this dead phone and my hands are starting to freeze.

Race Start

Race Start

As I pass the 1.5 mark, there is a water station.  I opted for no water – wasn’t thirsty – and I usually only get water for 5Ks during warmer weather.  I did stop because my thumbs were numb.  I wrap the bottom of my sleeves around my thumbs and rubbed them against the fabric.  I was able to get rid of the frozen feeling but my time was now off due to the walking.  I start back running.  The course was awesome – rolling hills – not steep and one right after the other.

I am now about to enter the last quarter mile of the race which ends back at the high school on the track.  The clock reads 34:07.  Since this race was not chip timed and I did not start in the beginning, I was technically under 34 minutes but my official time is 34:07:8.

finish time

Finish Time

After the race I ran back to my car and started home.  I can not report on the post race activities but the race was well organized and the course was fun.



No Comments Yet.

What do you think?

Your email address will not be published.